5 Things You Need to Know Today: August 8
Happy Monday, Silver Spring! Here are five things you need to know on this first day of the week.
Good Morning! What five things do you need to know to stay up-to-date about what’s going on in the community? Patch has you covered this Monday:
1. Today will be mostly sunny with a high of 92 degrees, according to the National Weather Service. There is a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening with a low around 71 degrees.
2. Looking for mortgage assistance? The Maryland HOPE (Home Owners Preserving Equity) Initiative is providing a free Emergency Mortgage Assistance Program Clinic for homeowners who are behind on their mortgage payments due to loss of income to help them apply for mortgage assistance. The workshop will be held from 3-8 p.m. at the Silver Spring Civic Building in Veterans Plaza. You can register online or call 410-514-7324.
3. The Mac Recycle Clinic based out of the Marvin Memorial United Methodist Church is offering an evening computer class to residents from 7-9 p.m. The class will help answer any Mac and/or Apple II/III related questions. It can also help individuals with their computers computer that aren't supported by the manufacturer. Donations for the class will be requested on arrival.
4. On this day in 1945, President Harry S. Truman signed the United Nations Charter. You can find out more about our nation’s current involvement in the global body by exploring the U.N. website.
5. Start your work week with cheap gas to get you through. At W Express gas station on 8550 Piney Branch Road and Arliss Street is offering the cheapest gas right now at $3.59 per gallon, according to GasBuddy. The BP at 112 W University Blvd. has gas for $3.66 per gallon. Keep checking the website to find the most updated information.