Patch Picks: Great "Staycations"
Take a mini-vacation - without ever leaving Silver Spring.
With spring break approaching and summer soon to follow, thoughts are turning towards vacations. While that trip to the beach or the mountains may not fit the budget or schedule this year, there are some great “staycations” you can take right here in our community!
We’ve scoured the area to bring you the best “staycations” that Silver Spring has to offer:
- Take a break from doing the dishes, laundry, cooking and other chores and give the Silver Spring Hilton’s “Romance Package” special—which includes sparkling wine or cider in your room, plus breakfast in-bed for two—a try. Use of the health club and indoor pool are also included in the package. The nightly room rate of $154 is a small price to pay to have a maid, chef and concierge taking care of your every need!
- If you enjoy the great outdoors – hiking in the mountains, gazing at the foliage and flowers or even bird-watching, take a day trip to Brookside Gardens. With more than 50 acres, including numerous different gardens: azalea, aquatic, butterfly, rose, Japanese-style, trial, rain, formal and children’s. It also includes two conservatories (should the weather be bad). Brookside is a great place to relieve the cabin fever that winter brings.
- Take a journey to your most relaxing state of mind with Spa Mesu’s “Journey” package. The Fenton Street spa offers a variety of services, but the three-hour Journey, which features a deluxe manicure and pedicure, an aromatherapy facial and a Swedish massage will make you feel like you have spent the day in a luxurious European spa, without ever leaving Silver Spring!
- The Great White Way may be one of New York City’s most enticing destinations, but you can have all the fun of a dinner and a show without sitting in traffic on I-95 for hours and hours. Start out with reservations at one of Downtown’s great restaurants like the 8407 Kitchen Bar, Mrs. K’s Toll House or Ray’s The Bar, then take in a show at the Round House Theatre, Silver Spring Stage or Lumina Studio Theatre!
- If touring historic places is more your speed, Silver Spring is chock full of unique and interesting destinations. Since 1889, The Blair Mansion has been welcoming dignitaries and visitors from all over the world. Always wondered where our town got its name, Acorn Park holds all the answers. And you can visit the country’s first regional shopping center by walking around the intersection of Georgia Avenue and Colesville Road, viewing the marble facades, art deco styling and other vintage reminders of a bygone era.