The only time when giant turkeys, small ballerinas and medium-sized dogs share the spotlight is near. Montgomery County hosts the 15th annual Thanksgiving Parade in downtown Silver Spring this weekend, Saturday, Nov. 17 at 10 a.m.
Beginning near Ellsworth Drive and Fenton Street, the procession of more than 120 units will make its way to Georgia Avenue, continue south and end at Silver Spring Avenue.
Expect different marching bands, including those of the Washington Redskins, Bowie State University and a champion band all the way from Florida, Latin dance groups, beauty pageant contestants, fire engines and rescue animals from Appalachian Great Pyrenees Rescue and the Humane Society. Maryland Youth Ballet will present The Nutcracker and Round House Theater will perform a sword fight from its upcoming production of Young Robin Hood.
ABC 7 Meteorologist Brian van de Graaff will emcee the parade, which will be televised live on News Channel 8 and rerun on Thanksgiving Day.
Anyone over age 10 may volunteer with the parade by handing out candy, riding on the floats in costume, leading units or handling balloons.
Call 240-777-6821 or visit http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/rectmpl for more information about volunteering or the parade.
The parade is rain or shine.
Road closures and parking:
- The northbound lanes of Georgia Avenue, from East-West Highway to Colesville Road, close at 7 a.m. and re-open after the conclusion of the parade at about 1 p.m.
- Also closing at 6 a.m.: Ellsworth Drive, Fenton Street, Roeder Road with limited access to Cedar Drive and Pershing.
- The Spring Street and Ellsworth Town Center garages are closed that day.
- The Town Center public parking garage at Ellsworth Drive will close at 2 a.m. Saturday morning.
- The Gateway Plaza lot at Colesville and Georgia Avenue will close at 7 a.m.
- Free parking will be available in the Wayne Avenue Garage, the Sligo Avenue Garage and the Bonifant Street Garage next to the Metro.
- Parade goers are encouraged to take the Metro/Red Line to the Silver Spring station.