Good Morning! Here are five things you need to know to stay up-to-date about what’s going on in the community today:
- Today will be partly cloudy with a high of 84 degrees, according to the National Weather Service. But try to stay dry because there is a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2 p.m. The sky will be mostly clear after 8 p.m. with a low around 64 degrees.
- The Silver Spring chapter of BNI, a business networking organization, is hosting a at from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. This will be a great event for anyone looking to share ideas with other business owners, network professionally, and find business referrals. You don’t need to be a member of the organization—the event is open to all.
- Montgomery County Public Schools is partnering with local businesses to . Drop off items at the in downtown Silver Spring from August 10 to August 17. After that date, items can be dropped off at the MCPS Department of Family and Community Partnerships through Aug 25. Everything will be given to students at the Back to School Fair. For more information call 301-279-3100.
- On this day in history, Babe Ruth died from cancer in 1948. But did you know that his life started not too far from Silver Spring? Born George Herman "Babe" Ruth Jr., the baseball legend grew up in Baltimore and lived in Maryland for much of his life.
- You can find the cheapest gas at the BP station located at 112 W University Blvd near Columbia Pike for $3.58 per gallon, according to gasbuddy.com. The second cheapest price is at the 7-Eleven at 650 University Blvd East for $3.59 per gallon. Check the website for the latest prices.