Local businesses are springing into action, offering discounts for federal workers.
Here are a few food and drink specials in the Bethesda, Chevy Chase and Silver Spring areas:
- At Clyde's of Chevy Chase (5441 Wisconsin Ave., Chevy Chase), a government employee can get a 20 percent discount off his or her entire check, Washingtonian reported.
- At the Tropical Ice Cream Cafe in Silver Spring (9324 Georgia Ave.), federal workers with ID who buy one small or large ice cream cone can get a second cone for $1 off the regular price, owner Caroline Tay told Patch.
- In a special "Libation Without Representation" promotion, Nando's Peri-Peri (924 Ellsworth Dr., Silver Spring, and 4839 Bethesda Ave., Bethesda) is offering happy hour specials all day, all week. "Let's make the shutdown a wine-wine scenario!" Nando’s Facebook page reported.
- José Andrés announced via Twitter that furloughed folks (with ID) could receive a free sandwich at Jaleo (7271 Woodmont Ave., Bethesda) every day of the shutdown.
- In Silver Spring, The Daily Dish (8301-A Grubb Rd.) is offering any government employee with ID a free cup of coffee during the shutdown. Members of Congress have to pay double for theirs, The Washington Post reported.
- Just a little way down Connecticut Avenue from Chevy Chase, restaurant Ripple (3417 Connecticut Ave. NW) will offer half-priced draft beer and wines by the glass for the duration of the shutdown, The Post reported.
- And, just down Wisconsin Avenue from Friendship Heights, at Z-Burger (4321 Wisconsin Ave. NW), federal workers with ID can get a free burger, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 5 to 7 p.m. every day while the shutdown lasts, Washington City "Shutdown" Paper reported.
- All Taylor Gourmet locations (including the one in Bethesda at 7280 Woodmont Ave.) are offering furloughed federal workers "a 10 percent discount, career counseling and a cookie" with the purchase of any hoagie or salad, The Post reported.
- At The Original Pancake House (7703 Woodmont Ave., Bethesda), all furloughed government employees with ID receive a 15 percent discount, the City "Shutdown" Paper reported.
- At Scion Restaurant (1200 East-West Highway, Silver Spring), happy-hour specials are extended during lunch until the shutdown ends with half-price drafts, $5 glasses of wine, $4 rail drinks, $6 cocktails and appetizer specials, the City "Shutdown" Paper reported.
- The 8407 Kitchen Bar (at 8407 Ramsey Ave., Silver Spring) is offering a free soup with any purchase at the bar as long as the shutdown lasts, and with federal government or military ID. Tuesday's soup was creamy potato, crispy bacon and chive, the City "Shutdown" Paper reported.
- At Chevy Chase's Range restaurant (5335 Wisconsin Ave. NW), federal workers with ID can get a free margarita pizza, every day for the duration of the shutdown, the City "Shutdown" Paper reported.
- At the Bethesda Row Cinema, use your government ID to get $1 off select beers, wines and cocktails while the shutdown lasts, the cinema tweeted to Patch.
- The Washington Post: "Happy hour specials: Eat and drink for less during a government shutdown"
- Washington City "Shutdown" Paper: "The Essential Guide to Food and Drink Government Shutdown Specials (Updated)"
Are you offering a shutdown special? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.