As Hurricane Sandy brough high winds to Montgomery County late Monday night, a tree collapsed on a Silver Spring apartment building and caused a major gas leak, Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service wrote on its blog early Tuesday. The tree sheared off the building's gas meter, MCFRS reported via Twitter.
Wires were also downed behind the home, located in the 20 block of Manchester Place in Silver Spring.
Crews were able to shut off gas flow and the occupants were unharmed, according to MCFRS tweets.
According to the blog, 14 adults and 5 children were displaced and no one was injured.
A building inspector was being sent to assess damage to the home and officials were assisting the occupants with finding shelter.