A Silver Spring family will have to find a new place to live, after a fire damaged a majority of their home Friday afternoon.
Montgomery County Fire and Rescue (MCFR) received a call around 4:12 p.m. to report to the scene of a house fire on the 8700 block of Sundale Drive, MCFR spokesman Captain Oscar Garcia said.
“It took approximately 45 firefighters about five minutes to extinguish the fire," Garcia said. "They also checked for fire behind the walls in the attic area."
Two family members were in the house watching TV, when they smelled smoke in the bedroom, he said. When they opened the bathroom door they noticed flames. They called 9-1-1 and fled the house.
There were no injuries reported.
Firefighters are continuing to investigate the fire, but Garcia said at this time firefighters believe the cause was an electrical fire in the bathroom.
“The home will be unsafe [for the family] until they get a lot of the electrical system in the house fixed,” he said.
The home sustained about $225,000 in damages.