A Washington, DC, man was charged with a sex offense Monday, Aug. 20, after patrol officers caught the 29-year-old with his pants down and masturbating in the hallway of an apartment building the 14100 block of Castle Boulevard in Silver Spring, according to a report from Montgomery County Police. Patrol originally responded to a trespassing complaint at around 9:49 p.m.
Police are also investigating a series of robberies throughout the Colesville Road/Route 29 corridor, none of which appear to be related:
- Monday, Aug. 13: Three men are suspected in the robbery of an adult male around 6:02 a.m. The victim told police that he was approached by the suspects, who assaulted him before taking his backpack and running away. Patrol officers responded to the scene and stopped three people who matched the description (not given in the crime summary). The victim said the suspects were the same people who robbed him.
- Tuesday, Aug. 14: A man told police that a robber put a gun to his head and stole a gold chain around 9:28 p.m. in the 500 block of Domer Avenue. He said that he was approached by two males, one of which produced a knife as the second pulled out a handgun. The victim’s family saw the robbery and went to the scene, after which the suspects ran away.
- Thursday, Aug. 16: A man and woman told police that two male suspects and one female suspects stole a purse, a wallet and two cell phones from them in the area of National Drive and Old Columbia Pike in Burtonsville at 11 p.m. They told police that the group of suspects approached them and asked to use the man’s cell phone. He agreed and the female suspect took the female victim’s purse. The two male suspects then assaulted the man, knocking him down and grabbing a second cell phone and a wallet before running away.
- Sunday, Aug. 19: An adult female said she was knocked to the ground, punched and kicked after refusing to give a robber her purse in the area of Colesville Road and Sligo Creek Parkway around 4:49 a.m. The suspect then ran away.
- Sunday, Aug. 19: Two suspects posed as potential customers before robbing a Public Storage location in the 10700 block of Hillwood Drive at 4:40 p.m. Police said the men asked about renting a space and, after touring the facility and returning to the main office, one of the men rushed behind the counter with a tire iron and demanded cash. The suspect pulled out a knife and threatened the employee, who told him the money was in the cash register. The employee was tied up and his mouth was duct-taped before the suspects left.
- Sunday, Aug. 19: Three suspects are accused of stealing a cell phone and cash from a woman in the 1000 block of University Boulevard E at 11:25 p.m. The victim told police that two of the men took her belongings as one acted as a lookout.
- Monday, Aug. 20: A young male said that he was robbed at knife-point at a bus stop at Lockwood Drive and Oakleaf Drive in White Oak at 2:20 p.m. The male suspect approached the victim and asked to use his cell phone. The victim gave it to the man, but when he tried to get it back the suspect pulled out a knife. The boy offered to give the man cash for his phone, he told police, but the man kept the phone, grabbed the cash and ran away.
- Friday, Aug. 24: Two male suspects are accused of robbing an adult male at gun point in the 700 block of Bayfield Street at 2 a.m. The victim said that the men came up to him and demanded property. He said he gave them his empty wallet, but one suspect threw the wallet back at him while the second suspect pulled out a handgun and searched the victim. They stole his cell phone before running away.
Thursday, Aug. 16: A woman told police that she was held at gunpoint while her car was searched and she was fondled by a man who wanted to rob her in the 11400 block of Columbia Pike at 10 p.m. She said she was walking towards her vehicle when the suspect grabbed her neck and demanded her property. The suspect ran away without taking anything.
Thursday, Aug. 16: A man told police that a drunk, homeless man cut him in front of 7-Eleven at 650 University Boulevard at 5 p.m. The victim said that the he argued with the man before the suspect pulled out a knife and cut him. Patrol officers responded and arrested a 40-year-old man.
The above is a summary of major crimes reported in Montgomery County Police's 3rd District, which includes greater Silver Spring and Burtonsville.
When posting a story at Patch in which we give a description of someone wanted in connection with a crime, we provide as detailed a description as possible. We describe a suspect's race only when it is part of a broader description providing a reasonable expectation that the person can be identified. For questions on police stories, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.