Several public hearings will be held by the Montgomery County Council Tuesday, including one on a proposed addendum to the Capital Improvements Program that would allot an additional $7.5 million to the Silver Spring Transit Center to prevent further delays.
The additional funds, called supplemental appropriation, would be used for "cost increases related to site improvements, utilities, and construction costs as well as significant project delay costs."
The hearing will be held at 1:30 p.m. at the County Council Building in Rockville.
Also on the council agenda:
The proposed smoking ban on all Montgomery County-owned property is nearing a vote as the County Council is set to hear the bill's final reading at Tuesday's meeting.
Montgomery County's Health and Human Services Commission recommended the Council approve the ban with the following amendments:
- Prohibit smoking at bus stops and bus shelters
- Allow the Director of Health and Human Services to designate outdoor smoking areas on certain County properties
- Do not prohibit smoking on golf courses
- Prohibit smoking at County-owned residences, but grandfather existing tenants
- (Jan. 25, 2013)
- (Jan. 22, 2013)
- VIDEO: Montgomery Looks to Broaden its Ban on Smoking (Nov. 16, 2012)
- Floreen Seeks Smoking Ban at All County Property (Nov. 13, 2012)
Other agenda items of note include:
- Public Hearing/Action — Supplemental appropriation to the FY13 Capital Budget and amendment to the FY13-18 Capital Improvements Program, Ride On Bus Fleet, $13,895,000 (Short-Term Financing)
- Recommended by County Executive Ike Leggett, the project will "fund the replacement of 32 Champion buses which have had fire safety problems."
- Action — Spending Affordability Guidelines for FY14 Operating Budget