Here's a sampling of what's happening in the area:
3rd Annual Audacity of Hoops Youth Basketball Tournament
- Where: Ellsworth Drive, next to the Silver Spring Civic Building’s Veterans Plaza.
- When: Saturday, Nov. 2, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Price: All Montgomery County high school-aged students are eligible to assemble teams and join the free tournament.
- Description: The Audacity of Hoops is a 3-on-3 tournament that uses sports and recreation as a way to engage students and their families in constructive activities. Top players from area high schools sign up each year to participate in organized games, and the slam-dunk and free throw contests draw large crowds of excited fans.
- Where: Events take place at many historic sites in Montgomery County's parks. See the county parks department's website for a full list of events and locations.
- When: Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 2 and 3, all day.
- Price: Free, unless otherwise noted.
- Description: Celebrate freedom from enslavement in Maryland. Hike the Underground Railroad, tour a slave cabin, visit an African-American slavery museum, enjoy living history demonstrations and eat great food. For more information, check out the event schedule and map.
- Where: Plaza at the Shops at Wisconsin Place (5310 Western Ave., Chevy Chase, MD)
- When: Saturday, Nov. 2, 3 p.m.
- Price: Free. A donation of $10 is suggested.
- Description: Enjoy a taste of the Washington National Opera! Artists from the Domingo-Cafritz Young Artist Program perform best-loved opera arias and previews of upcoming productions. There will be food and beverages (provided by The Capital Grille, Le Pain Quotidien, P.F. Chang's and Whole Foods Market) and shopping specials to benefit the opera. Opera at the Plaza will be held rain or shine, and all are welcome to attend.
- Where: The Connelly School of the Holy Child, 9029 Bradley Blvd., Potomac.
- When: Saturday, Nov. 2, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Price: Free admission and free parking.
- Description: Enjoy shopping, live music and great Argentinian food, and support the programs of the Escuela Argentina de Washington, a nonprofit educational institution that serves students and families from a diverse Spanish-speaking community in the Washington, DC, region. The event features Latin American and international artisans offering jewelry, crafts, adult and children’s clothing, chocolates, regional products and much more! Traditional food and European-style pastries include empanadas, pebetes, sandwiches de miga, alfajores, facturas, churros and other tasty treats with excellent coffee or hot chocolate.