Silver Spring International Middle School
Set on a sprawling "campus" on the edge of Sligo Creek, Silver Spring International Middle School (SSIMS) provides education to approximately 700 students in grades 6-8.
Featuring a culturally diverse mix of students, SSIMS has an attendance rate of 95 percent (above the state average), an average number of students with disabilities (13 percent) and double the number of "English Learners" (10 percent to the state average of 5 percent).
While the teacher certifications fall just slightly below the state average, the teacher to student ration is 12 to 1, below the avergae of 14 to 1.
The school offers a robust extra-curricular line up of music, dance, painting, video production, sports, language, community service and technology-related activities.
- Hours: 8:50 am - 3:05 pm on school days
- Handicap Accessible: Yes
- Number of students: 738
- Male-to-female ratio: 48/52
- Public/Private: Public
- Religious affiliation: None
- Student-to-teacher ratio: 12 to 1
- Parking: Free lot
- Number of faculty: 70
- How engaged is the school with the community?: Community service is a big part of extra-curricular activities.
- Grade levels: 6-8
- Special education: Yes
- Uniforms: No
- Features: Auditorium/stage, Cafeteria, Computer lab, Infirmary, Language lab, Library, Science lab, Sports facilities
- Extracurricular activities available: Music, dance, chorus, band, video/film production, drawing/painting, French, Spanish,
- Student clubs: Student Council, Science & Technology
- Sports teams: cross country, lacrosse, basketball, soccer, softball, track, tennis, baseball