Fire and rescue: Multiple businesses were evacuated due to a damaged gas line.
A ruptured gas line temporarily shut down a cluster of businesses in Burtonsville Wednesday afternoon, according a spokesperson for Montgomery County Fire and Rescue. Firefighters were dispatched around 12:52 p.m. to the 15100 block of Old Columbia Pike for a gas leak. Crews discovered a 2-inch line had been damaged and was venting gas into the building. Firefighters began evacuating a number of businesses in the area around 1:30 p.m., said Beth Anne Nesselt, a fire and rescue spokeswoman. Structures near the gas line were being monitored and the buildings were ventillated later in the afternoon, she said. The buildings are expected to be safe to re-enter later in the evening.